Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 13:24:12 -0500
From:      Andrew Heybey <ath@niksun.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advice wanted on tracking down bug (or hw problem?) in 3.1R

>>On Fri, 26 Feb 1999 09:52:33 -0800, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> said:
  >> I have just submitted PR kern/10243, but I thought I would ask
  >> for some advice on hackers as well.
  >>
  >> The bug is that under certain loads, read(2) can return corrupted
  >> data (ie data that are not in the file on disk).  The instances I
  >> have seen are relatively small amounts (8-64 bytes) of corrupt
  >> data at the end of a 4k page.  The corrupt data is from a file
  >> previously read or another position in the current file.  I have
  >> also seen this problem in 3.0-RELEASE but not in 2.2.8-RELEASE.

  mike> Can you look at the corrupt data and see if you can identify
  mike> it?  In particular, look for objects that look like IP
  mike> addresses, MAC addresses, pointers into kernel space, ascii
  mike> text, etc.  This is usually the best way to work out where the
  mike> data is coming from.

The data is always (in every instance that I have examined) from some
other part of the file currently being read or some other file in my
set of test files.  How my test setup works is that I have 30 50MB
files.  The files are filled with sequential integers (counting over
the entire 1.5GB).  My test program reads from the files (in order,
starting over at file #0 when it reaches file #29) and compares what
read(2) returns to what should be there (based on file number and file
offset).

One other possible clue: This morning I hooked my disks up to the
regular Ultra SCSI (40MB/s) port of the 7890 controller rather than
the Ultra/2 (80MB/s) port and I haven't seen the bug yet.  I am not
100% positive since I have only run it for a few hours so far, but
before I could almost always make the bug happen withing 10-15
minutes.

andrew