Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 1997 23:56:13 +0400
From:      marck@gw.rinet.ru (Dmitry Morozovsky)

>From marck Tue Apr  1 21:55:36 1997 remote from gw.rinet.ru
Subject: NewsServer architecture Q
To: freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 21:55:37 +0400 (MSD)
Sender: marck

Hi there from Russia! :)

We've got here machine for the news server, which is planned to be dedicated
service on that machine. This is *definitely* not big newsserver --
however...

Incoming stream is uucp-over-IP and its volume is about 1.2 to 1.5 G
(unpacked) daily. We've got ~10 uucp-over-IP downlinks, not full-feeded.
NNTP load would be approx 20-40 connections at a time.

We've already got some hardware:

P5-133 ASUS motherboard with bundled ahc & 64M of EDO
NCR 5x810

3x1G + .5G + 2x2G narrow SCSI disks (mainly Conners plus one Quantum FB)

I'm planning to make the followin filesystems

ahc:
	.5G	root, swap, usr
	1G	swap, var (including outgoint uucp queue)
	1G	ccd
	2G	ccd
ncr:
	1G
	2G

	these 6G i plan to concatenate as ccd for news spool

My Qs are:

	- is these plan optimal enough?
	- what kernel options should I use (CHILD_MAX, OPEN_MAX, maxusers,
etc; ahc options; ncr options)

Please cc your answers to my e-mail. Thanx for your cooperation.

Happy FreeBSD'ing! :)))

Sincerely,
D.Marck
=== D.Marck --- Dmitry Morozovsky --- marck@rinet.ru --- Wild Woozle ===