Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:19:05 +0100
From:      Stefano Riva <sriva@alice.it>
To:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bootable CDs

At 14.50 15/03/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>   Do a "man mkisofs". There are two options ("-b" and "-c") usable when
>> making El Torrito bootable CDs.
>That's what I did. Specifically, '-b floppies/boot.flp -c
>floppies/boot.catalog.'=20

  I did it just one time, months ago. I'm almost sure it worked for me
without other options.

>I can't seem to locate the reference now, but I saw something that
>indicated that for FreeBSD, you need to (or could) use the form
>mentioned here,
>                  If  the  name  of the device node that has been
>       specified on such a system referres to  exactly  one  SCSI
>       device,  a shorthand in the form dev=3D devicename:@ or dev=3D
>       devicename:@,lun may  be  used  instead  of  dev=3D  device-
>       name:scsibus,target,lun.

  Maybe your version of cdrecord (1.6.1) is different... I'm using 1.6a12.
I put the driver name after the "driver=3D" option, as I said in my previous
message.

  Thereafter I'll still assume the syntax is the same, anyway you may find
more info in the cdrecord's home page:

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/
cdrecord.html

># cdrecord -scanbus
>Cdrecord release 1.6.1 Copyright (C) 1995-1998 J=81=F6rg Schilling
>cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.

  This is a problem.

># dmesg | grep ^cd0
>cd0(ahc0:4:0): CD-ROM can't get the size

  This isn't a problem.

>> -s /dev/rcdX.ctl /dev/scgx" where X is the unit number, probably 0 or 1=
 if
>> you have a reader connected to the same machine. By default cdrecord uses
>> /dev/scgx.
>OK, let me try a '-dummy' run. First,
>
># ln -s /dev/rcd0.ctl /dev/scg0

  I said capital X is the unit number. Keep the other x unchanged. Issue
the following command:

  ln -s /dev/rcd0.ctl /dev/scgx

>Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-R.
>Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).

  Are you sure this is the right driver? Check with driver=3Dhelp, search th=
cdrecord's home page, search the newsgroups with Altavista. My Traxdata is
recognized as Generic CD-R, but it needs driver=3Dteac_cdr50 to work.

---

  Stefano Riva
  Software Engineer - Systems Administrator
  Informazioni Editoriali I.E. Srl
  Phone +39-027528400, Fax +39-027528451
  Email sriva@alice.it