Date:      Wed, 05 Jan 2000 22:18:06 +0200
From:      Oren Sarig <sarig@bezeqint.net>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>, freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: isp0 - File exists, routes?

> When I'm doing this I'm getting the following:
>
> ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists

This is ok to ignore, it comes up every time, and shouldn't be a
problem.

> Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use
Netif Expire
> 0.0.0.1            default            UH          0        0
isp0
> 127.0.0.1          127.0.0.1          UH         10     1328
lo0

> Second: Why do I get this weird route - it should be (if at all):
>
> Destination       Gateway
> default           0.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 is the loopback device, used when programs need to use IP to
connect to your own computer. This is refered to as "localhost". It
could be useful to you if, say, you want to test a new server you
installed, you can connect to 127.0.0.1:port that would go through the
loopback device back to your own computer (hence loopback) without
triggering an outgoind connection.

--
Oren Sarig
sarig@bezeqint.net.il