Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:51:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Roop Nanuwa <roop@gw.carpoolbc.com>
To:        biz@bacon.cs.uchicago.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: but what box??

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 biz@bacon.cs.uchicago.edu wrote:

> I'd like to install freebsd and run the following services on an eternet
> LAN:
>
> -http
> -postfix
> -dns
> -ftp
> -samba (does this even run on freebsd?)

Yes, and it runs well..

> i would like to be able to order this box online.
>
> url suggestions anyone?!
>
> i have looked at the hardware compatibility list, but it is more
> modular than what i need.  i'd like to just know of an existing box,
> NOT custom built, from a known vendor (or just widely used in freebsd
> community).

*most* computers will work fine under FreeBSD... it's just a matter of how
much horsepower/money you want put in the box. There are a couple of
things to avoid (from my personal experience)..
1] Motherboards with onboard hardware (video/lan/sound) etc.
2] Unknown hardware (ie vendor just lists 'Video Card' instead of full
brand/model information)
3] Major Vendors (ie Dell,Gateway etc).. they may have superior support
(from what I've heard) but for the most part, the products are
too overpriced to justify that.

Hope that helps some...

RSN