Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 21:13:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, hoek@hwcn.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fnord0: disabled, not probed.

> One man's useful information is another
> man's noise, and now the noise level is at least selectable.  I
> definitely find the boot-time message *far* easier to read with this
> change now!  It's like the difference between night and day in
> GENERIC, at least.

Fie.  There is a technological soloution to this problem, and a kludge
should not be used.  The messages are a warning that a correct fix has
yet to be implemented.  Removing them removes pressure to fix the thing
the correct way, and encourages a climate of kludges.
	[ Nice word-pair alliteration, eh? ]

If you remove all of the disincentives toward mediocrity, then you'll
be left with, well, DOS.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---