Date:      Sun, 22 Nov 2009 09:45:25 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
To:        John <comp.john@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems getting the bluetooth stack to start

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009, John wrote:

> Firstly, the small size of the device means that it is very awkward to
> pull the dongle out once it's pushed in. When restarting the computer,
> is it sufficient to reboot(8) then power the machine off, wait a few
> seconds then power it back up? I mean does this properly reset the
> dongle, or does it truly have to be pulled out and pushed back in for
> the system to re-read it?

power down should be sufficient to reset the device entirely, internal
state is rarely kept (sometimes there is nvram for link keys but thats
all)

it seems (to me) that your modules setup is ok, since the modules are
loaded when you want them to be

> potato# /etc/rc.d/bluetooth start ubt0
> /etc/rc.d/bluetooth: ERROR: Unable to setup Bluetooth stack for device
> ubt0

Not sure if I can really be of much assistance, does hccontrol show that
the node is up and running?

Also, before you do this can you run hcidump as root user?  It might show
something happening (or not)

Then, you could enable some kind of debugging in the startup script (use
sh -x at least) to see where it was failing

iain