Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 15:16:15 -0800
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@sftw.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   KDE kdm problem with packaged version (make release issue?)

For a long time I have noticed that when I build kdm from the kdebase
port, it works.
But if I used packages off either the CDs or ftp sites, it doesn't work.
Specifically if I
do a 'strings' on the binary and grep for /, some of the paths I see
have XBINDIR
rather than explicit references to /usr/X11R6/bin. I am not enough a
ports guru to
grok what is to be done, but before the freeze maybe someone could look
into it?
Another suggestion is that two patches to the xdm config files be made
at the time
that kdebase is installed -- One needs to add a call to kdmdesktop to
Xsetup_0,
and one needs to add

    kde)
        exec /usr/local/bin/startkde
        ;;

right above the failsafe case in Xsession. If the port doesn't make
these two patches itself
at install time, it might at least _suggest_ them to the user, IMHO.