Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 12:36:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      TheLab <thelab@mit.nmarcom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        hayseed@nmarcom.com
Subject:   Apple File System Support

Hello!

I was wondering if there are any plans to incorporate full Apple File
System Support in FreeBSD...

I have a wonderful network running here with a UNIX File Server
with NETATALK & Samba, supporting a large network of NT, Apple, and UNIX
workstations and servers, but i have a slight frustration:

Our graphic design workshop ships JAZZ, ZIP and Syquest drives back and
forth to an external Print House, as well as to our clients. This is all
fine and dandy except that i only have one drive of each, and they all
hang off the FreeBSD box. If we get PC files, no problem... i wrote a
script that allows our Mac-addicted Designers to mount the drive, and then
access it though their Mac's 'Chooser' (gotta love netatalk!!). However,
if we receive or have to send a drive in Apple's file system, i have to
halt the server, yank the cables, bring the server up again, carry the
drives over to my mac, do my business, then carry the drives back to the
server, bring it down, hook it up again, bring the server up...

It's inconvienient, ya know?

If FreeBSD does not have any plans, then are there any other
non-commercial i386 UNIX's that do? I can just install one of those on an
alternative machine and NFS mount back to the main server if i have to. :)

Regards,
Mit

Another other suggestions welcome, but no, mactools/hfstools are not what
i want as i want to actually _mount_ the drive, and with r/w access if
possible.