Date:      Thu, 22 Sep 2011 15:34:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FAQ updating: software modems

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011, Warren Block wrote:

> Just noticed that the FAQ still says
>
>  FreeBSD supports many software modems via add-on software. For
>  example, the comms/ltmdm port adds support for modems based on the
>  very popular Lucent LT chipsets.
>
> comms/ltmdm is gone, removed a year ago as unmaintained.  Are there any other
> software modem drivers in ports or elsewhere, or should this entry be removed
> entirely?

Grep-ing for 'modem' in ports/*/*/pkg-descr seems to reveal just
comms/ib-kmod as providing support for modem hardware.  Given that it's
just the one manufacturer, and modem use is falling away with increased
broadband penetration, I would not mind if the entry just went away.
(But then, I was the one advocating for removing PLIP/SLIP from the
handbook ...)

-Ben Kaduk