Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 1996 21:38:51 +0000 ()
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Keith Beattie[SFSU Student]" <beattie@george.lbl.gov>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3Qs: XFree86, BootEasy & Virt Terms

> How do I install XFree86 from the 2.1.0-RELEASE CDROM after I've
> already installed without X?  There doesn't appear to be a package
> and running make in /cdrom/ports/x11/XFree86 fails because it can't
> cd to /usr/ports/distfiles .  If I reinstall with a different
> installation option, (I learned this the hard way) important files
> will be overwritten.

The Handbook has an entry on how to use the ports; in this case, I
would strongly advise against it as X is *huge* and compiling it
will take several hours (and hundreds of MB of disk space).  Instead,
just swap CDROMs and do something like

# cd /usr
# tar xzvf /cdrom/dists/XF86312/X312bin.tgz

for all the X components you wish to install (there's a README file on
the CD that explains what they all are and which ones are mandatory).

> How do I get BootEasy (or any bootmanager for that matter) to boot
> DOS from my 2nd IDE disk?  My 1st IDE drive is all FreeBSD, 2nd is
> all DOS.  Bootting from a DOS floppy works fine.  From the booteasy
> menu: F5 ... DOS gives a never ending list of 040404040404...

Erm, not sure here - it sounds like some kind of geometry problem.

> I only get 3 virtual terminals, Alt-f4 just beeps at me.  When I
> built the kernel, I set it to 4.  Even with the GENERIC kernel, which
> should have 12 only gives me 3.

This is because ttyv3 is marked as off in /etc/ttys.  See the FAQ for
details on how to add more virtual terminals.