Date:      12 Sep 1999 03:40:24 -0700
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Simon Marlow <simonmar@microsoft.com>
Cc:        "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to go about making a compiler port

 * From: Simon Marlow <simonmar@microsoft.com>

 * [originally sent to ports, resending to hackers at the suggestion of someone
 * on that list.]

Sorry, you probably caught us at the busiest time right before the
release....

 * Hi Folks,
 *
 * I'd like to make a port for our Haskell compiler, GHC (see
 * http://research.microsoft.com/users/t-simonm/ghc).  There are some subtle
 * problems with this:
 *
 * 	- GHC depends on itself.  That is, you need GHC
 * 	  installed in order to build GHC.
 *
 * 	- GHC depends on Happy, our parser generator.
 *
 * 	- Happy depends on GHC (it's written in Haskell).
 *
 * So, one solution would be to provide a binary port, say ghc-bin, which would
 * install a binary distribution.  I checked the modula-3 port, and it doesn't
 * seem to have a binary port, so what's the accepted way of doing this?

Look at lang/gnat.  It has a similar situation.

Satoshi