Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:44:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      dave@atkinshome.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   samba/inetd - netbios-ns/udp: bind: Address already in use error messages

I have several 4.5-RELEASE freeBSD servers running with samba 2.2.3a. I have
enabled samba to run from inetd.conf via:

  # Enable the following two entries to enable samba startup from inetd
  # (from the Samba documentation).  Enable the third entry to enable the swat
  # samba configuration tool.
  #
  netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd smbd
  netbios-ns dgram udp wait root /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd nmbd
  #swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/local/samba/bin/swat swat

I have checked rc.conf and default rc.conf for any other startup scripting to
start samba and found none.

The kernel log files contain these messages, constantly:

crwebx3.crdc.consumerreview.org kernel log messages:
> Apr 27 03:05:48 crwebx3 inetd[70]: netbios-ns/udp: bind: Address already in use
> Apr 27 03:15:48 crwebx3 inetd[70]: netbios-ns/udp: bind: Address already in use
> Apr 27 03:25:49 crwebx3 inetd[70]: netbios-ns/udp: bind: Address already in use
> Apr 27 03:35:49 crwebx3 inetd[70]: netbios-ns/udp: bind: Address already in use
> Apr 27 03:45:49 crwebx3 inetd[70]: netbios-ns/udp: bind: Address already in use

I have one other freeBSD server, same version, that I installed identically (I
did 3 machines at once), but I do not see these error messages. I do not know
what could be different in the configuration.

any ideas? The error does not appear to be harmful--samba is working fine...but I
should resolve this.