Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:48:11 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NTP packet routing problem

On 2002-Jan-17 16:35:18 +1100, Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au> wrote:
>I've seen similar problems with PPP links over ssh - the link comes
>up, but on the PPP host the route to the remote end is via the ether
>interface.  This is true for all pkts, not just ntp (which doesn't
>run over this particular link).  You can fix it by deleting a static
>route on the ppp host, and it all starts working again.

Except I can get other IP traffic through the PPP link - it's just
NTP.  Also, creating/deleting static routes didn't have any effect.

>I _think_ this is caused by ppp not removing routes it adds before
>the tunX interface goes down, and then the kernel re-binds the route
>via a seemingly viable non-down interface (i.e. the default route),
>and won't re-bind it when the tunX interface comes up.  But it
>happens rarely so I've not nailed down the exact circumstances.

With everything working correctly, I can't see any cloned routes.
When the link drops next time, I'll have a closer look at the
routing table innards.

I will also try and reproduce the problem on a system that I have
physical access to.  Maybe some ntpd debugging or tracing might
suggest something.

Peter