Date:      Sat, 31 Dec 2016 11:02:56 -0500
From:      Robert Fitzpatrick <robert@webtent.org>
To:        Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
Cc:        Robert Fitzpatrick via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Unknown network interface

Doug Hardie wrote:
> The handbook has the details on that.  You pretty much have to do a reinstall though.  I don't know of a way to bypass the newfs on the drive.  However, I would recommend using it in live mode rather than doing an installation.  That gives you a working system from the CD or flash drive without using the system disk.  You can then test out the NIC to make sure it works before doing an installation.
>
> If 11.0 works for the NIC, and since you used freebsd-update, don't do an install from the CD/flash drive.  Go back and reboot the system from the hard drive and use freebsd-update with a rollback command to go back to your 9.3 system you started with.  Note, you may have to do a couple rollbacks to get to the clean 9.3 system. Go back to where the NIC works and then use freebsd-update to upgrade to the version that works with that NIC.

Thanks again Doug. The second rollback got me back to 9.3, never had
done a rollback before and didn't realize. I'm working again under 9.3
and the Live CD shows all my network cards work under 11.0, but now
having a problem with freebsd-update:

> root@backup2:/home/admin # freebsd-update -r 11.0-RELEASE upgrade
> Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... none found.
> Fetching metadata signature for 9.3-RELEASE from update.FreeBSD.org... done.
> Fetching metadata index... done.
> Fetching 1 metadata files... done.
> Inspecting system... done.
>
> The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
> kernel/generic src/src world/base
>
> The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:
> world/doc world/games
>
> Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y
>
> Fetching metadata signature for 11.0-RELEASE from update.FreeBSD.org... done.
> Fetching metadata index... done.
> Fetching 1 metadata patches. done.
> Applying metadata patches... done.
> Fetching 1 metadata files... done.
>
> The update metadata is correctly signed, but
> failed an integrity check.
> Cowardly refusing to proceed any further.

I also tried running fetch/install and it seems to be stuck in a loop
doing this over and over stuck on 9.3-RELEASE-p43:

> root@backup2:/home/admin # freebsd-update fetch
> Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... none found.
> Fetching metadata signature for 9.3-RELEASE from update.FreeBSD.org... done.
> Fetching metadata index... done.
> Inspecting system... done.
> Preparing to download files... done.
>
> The following files will be removed as part of updating to 9.3-RELEASE-p53:
>
> root@backup2:/home/admin # freebsd-update install
> Installing updates... done.

I've researched a bit on the web, added the following to /etc/rc.conf:

kldxref_enable="YES"
kldxref_clobber="YES"

And to /etc/freebsd-update.conf:

IgnorePaths /boot/kernel/linker.hints

And finally cleaned out /tmp and /var/db/freebsd-update with no success.
Any help appreciated!

--
Robert