Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 12:38:47 -0900
From:      Jon Reynolds <jonr@ninestar.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd4.7 and Samba and OS X

On Sun, 2003-02-09 at 01:34, Jon Reynolds wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 18:29, Bill Moran wrote:
> > David Kelly wrote:

> > > Yeah But... The .AppleDouble directories were created by NetAtalk. They
> > > were not the creation of clients which had connected to the share.
> > >
> > > But you may be on to something as MacOS X does like to create a dot
> > > file/directory on shared resources, its just not called .AppleDouble.
> > > More like .sD2 IIRC.
> >
> > Well, I could be wrong about, ".AppleDouble" specifically, but the whole
> > theory that dotfiles could be disappearing into a Samba black hole is
> > what I was trying to put across.
>
> I also think you guys might be on to something. The only difference
> between the 2 shares is that the ServerFiles share has a 'veto' option
> in it to hide these files. Maybe my understanding of veto is wrong, I
> always thought that it hid the files not disallowed them to be created.
> I will try again monday by commenting out the veto directive and see if
> that is the problem. I will post my results to the list about what I
> find.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Jon

I am on the OS X and Samba lists and posted this question to both lists.
Out of desperation I posted to the FreeBSD list and once again my
question was answered. This list ROCKS!!! The problem is now solved and
both Macs and Windows boxen can get in and save and edit files on the
Samba server.

There are two possibilities to what made this work. One is what was told
to me about creating '.' files for the Macs. The Macs create a '.' file
in the directory to, I'm assuming, hold the resource fork for the file
so the Mac can read it. The other solution might have been that when I
looked back inot the ServerFiles share on the server I noticed there
were already some '.' files created by the Macs. One of these was called
'.FBCLockFolder' I deleted all the '.' files that I found to be created
by the Macs and everthing is working as expected.

Unfortunatley, I tried both solutions at once so can't say for sure
which one was the fix. But I have posted both solutions in case anyone
else runs into this problem.

Thanks Again,

Jon