Date:      Thu, 06 Mar 2008 11:29:22 +0000
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
To:        peterjeremy@optushome.com.au, ruben@verweg.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: INET6 -- and why I don't use it

> Agreed.  But at this stage I can't justify the effort to do anything
> more than have a very cursory glance it at.  What benefit would I
> derive from setting up an IPv6 network and attempting to experiment
> with it?  My ISP won't support IPv6 and I'm reasonably certain my
> cable-modem doesn't either so IPv6 connectivity would entail some
> sort of tunnel.

man stf

I havent yet found an ISP on which that doesnt work, as it simply
uses IPv4 packets to do the job. I assume thats what someone earlier in
the thread meant when they said that you can have IPv6 right now on any
ISP. It's also incredibly easy to setup - three lines in rc.conf, and
no need to talk to any tunnel brrokers or anything. You just enable
it and it goes.

I belive windows Vista enables 6to4 automaticly if you have a public IP
address, so anyone with Vista and an ISP is already using IPv6.
Apple Airports also do this, and dish out IPv6 addresses to the equipment
which is getting IPv4 NAT on the inside - again, people get it without
knowing about it. It's here working right now

I think it is slightly poiuntless for home use currently, but in the
workplace the lack of NAT has a big advantage - I can just connect to
any machine diirectly (and from my home machines too). If you are in
a situation where you manage a lot of machine and need to ssh into them
to work on them then it's a godsend.

-pete.