Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 2003 00:29:29 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        randall ehren <randall@ucsb.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: buildworld/installworld problem

On Tuesday 14 January 2003 12:04 am, randall ehren wrote:
> > when you did the build and it has to look like that on the clients.
> > If you link /array/src as /usr/src, make knows it was really
> > /array/src. You would have to nfs_mount /array/src and link it to
> > /usr/src. Why do that when you could have created a partition on
> > the array slice called src and mounted it as /usr/src. Then, you
> > could nfs_mount that partition as /usr/src and everything is happy.
>
> true - but i wanted a single machine to handle doing builds of
> -stable and -release as i have machines with different needs. if this
> is impossible then i'll settle, i just figured there was some flag i
> could possibly pass to the make installworld to fix the problem.

There are some env parameters that you can change but I couldn't find=20
them. I do my builds on my fastest system and want them done as quickly=20
as possible. So, I have /usr/src and /usr/obj on their own=20
HD/controller.

Your answer should be in the archive. Look around DESTDIR and others.=20
Then, don't bother doing the link to /usr/src and /usr/obj. It doesn't=20
matter at that point. That doesn't get you around the fact that make=20
builds files with the original path built in.=20

Kent

> thanks for the reply,
>  -randall

--=20