Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 2000 09:43:40 EST
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml.ventu@flashnet.it>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Zip Zoom

Hello.

I've got a problem with a FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE system. The machine is an IBM PS VP with a
486DX2, 20MB of RAM, ISA bus, an IDE HD, a 3Com EtherLink III, a modem and an Elsa QuickStep
1000pro ISDN card.
Now I had a spare SCSI HD along with a Zip Zoom SCSI adapter (which is actually an Adaptec
AVA-1502): ok, it can't boot, it will probably be very slow, but it's fine for what I have
to do.
I plugged in the adapter and connected the Disk (with another OS it works fine, so I don't
think it's an hardware problem).
I configured my kernel with the following lines:

> device aic0 at isa?
> device scbus
> device da

Then I rebooted, but I got the following:

> Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
> (probe0:aic0:0:0:0) ccb 0xc04dbc00 - timed out, phase 0xb6, state 4
> (probe0:aic0:0:0:0) ccb 0xc04dbc00 - timed out, phase 0xb6, state 4
> (probe0:aic0:0:0:0) ccb 0xc04dbc00 - timed out, phase 0xb6, state 1
> (probe0:aic0:0:0:0) ccb 0xc04dbc00 - timed out, phase 0xb6, state 1

After the first line, the others appear very slowly (even one per minute); every device is
probed a few times times up to device 7 (it's a narrow bus), sometimes the number after
"ccb" changes.

I tried every IRQ the card could handle (i.e. from 9 to 12), the kernel will always default
to 12, so I "userconfig"ured it in the other cases; I also tried using the "alternate"
jumper which moves the card from i/o ports 0x140 to 0x340, and here the kernel is smart
enough to detect it. Anyway I could not get it to work. I double-checked and I should have
no IRQ conflicts, since from 9 to 12 there is no legacy card, only the two plug and play
ones, which get whichever ones are free.

Any hint/suggestion?

 Bye & Thanks
	av.