Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 12:51:51 -0400
From:      Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@intech.net>
To:        Fernando Schapachnik <fpscha@ns1.sminter.com.ar>
Cc:        Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wu-ftpd: is there a vulnerability ? (was: Re: limit ftp users to their homedir)

Fernando Schapachnik wrote:

> > wu-ftpd on FreeBSD was not vulnerable
> > to the most recent (realpath function) vulnerability due to
> > specifics of FreeBSD's implementation of the realpath function.

The FreeBSD version (and others with that codebase) are _less_
vulnerable. The problem is with buffer overruns within the WU source,
only some of which are in the 'realpath' chunks.

> various Unices so I preferred to change to the VR version on
> FreeBSD machines also just to have the same software in all the

The 'VR' series has now become the 'official' WU line -- we took
over where 'Academ' left off. Coming some time in May is the 2.5.0
release of WU-FTPd, with most of the 'VR' pathes (up thru VR17)
rolled in, plus additional security fixes.

The current VR series is on:	ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd

Soon (when we finish getting organized :-), there will be:

	http://www.wuftpd.org
	ftp://ftp.wuftpd.org

-coranth