Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2012 08:48:21 -0700
From:      VDR User <user.vdr@gmail.com>
To:        Dieter BSD <dieterbsd@engineer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to turn my computer into a TV

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 8:27 AM, Dieter BSD <dieterbsd@engineer.com> wrote:
>> Yes, technically there are still some that exist, for now. However,
>> their death certificate is signed and they're so few that it's not
>> worth mentioning.
>
> If you don't think NTSC is worth mentioning, why do you keep posting
> the same incorrect statements over and over again?

Your disagree that NTSC is out, soon including the very few exceptions
that remain? You disagree that NTSC is not worth mentioning at this
point? Well, to be fair, one of those is fact but the other is
opinion, which everyone is welcome to -- differing or not.

> NTSC is not a stream of bits. NTSC is analog. The tuner converts
> the NTSC analog waveform into a raw stream of bits. This raw
> stream of bits is too large to conviently store on disk, so it
> needs to be compressed/encoded into mpeg or similar. Some
> tuners include a hardware encoder, but many do not.

Nope.

> The cx88wiki URL above describes the cx88 software (in ports).
> For tuners without a hardware encoder, raw video/audio is the only
> thing you can get from the tuner when receiving NTSC.

Nope.

It seems you want to talk about things more along the lines of what's
technically in the realm of possibility while I prefer sticking to
real world scenario & application. Which, leaves us at an impasse....I
guess.

Cheers