Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 09:07:27 -0600 (MDT)
From:      <janb@cs.utep.edu>
To:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, <andrew@cream.org>, <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.3 and 6G RAM

> Solaris (?), Linux, Windows, and UnixWare support 36-bit addressing.
> None of these require special patches. Windows and UnixWare might
> still only offer this memory via a special API for databases.

As far as windows is concerned, all versions of windows 2000 have the
AWE-API (Address Window Extensions). there are only 5 api calls and the
use of this type of memory is very restrictive (windows, what did you
expect...) much more so, than the hardware neccesitates. Even though the
API is there on all versions, in order to use more than 4GB, you have to
buy the Advanced Server. If you want to use more than 8GB, you need the
Datacenter Version, which, as far as I know, you cannot purchase
seperately.

Jan