Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 07:53:47 +0000
From:      James Greenhalgh <james-list@ntlworld.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sound card configuration fails in 4.0 RELEASE

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:59:26 -0500 (EST)
Wyatt Banks <banksw@sunyit.edu> wrote:

> I installed an AWE64 PnP ISA card in my computer.  My computer is running
> Windows 95 and FreeBSD 4.0 Release.  I read the handbook which said to
> add:
> device pcm
> devce sbc
>
> to my kernel.  I did, and recompiled my kernel, rebooted my machine, etc
> (yeah, I know I sound stupid putting all this redundant garbage in, but
> every time I write this list people ask those stupid questions).
>
> Anyway, the handbook says the next step is to:
> cat /dev/sndstat
> amd it should tell me it works fine.  It tells me:
> device not configured.

Firstly - you didn't spell it 'devce' in the config file too did you? ;-)

Secondly, try using dmesg, to see if your sound card was spotted at boot.  I've got the same card and the same kernel options, and I get:

sbc0: <Creative SB AWE64> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x330-0x331,0x388-0x38b irq 5 drq 1,5 on isa0
pcm0: <SB DSP 4.16> on sbc0

Assuming you see the above in the output, then you want to cd to /dev and:

./MAKEDEV snd0     (snd should do, snd0 will definitely work)

And things should work, almost.  There seems to be a nasty bug in the new sound drivers with Awe64 (and possibly other) cards - that means you can't control the igain and ogain of your card with the mixer, and nobody seems to be able to help.  It means running your speakers/amp quite high, and jacking up the pcm and master volume controls to get things at a decent volume :-(

james