Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 14:36:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        count@key.hole.fi (Bror 'Count' Heinola)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentium Pro question

> Rodney W. Grimes taisi sanoa:
> >
> > If you go P6RP4 make darn sure that you have the B0 or later chipset,
> > anything before that will fail misserably with the 100Mbs ethernet
> > card.
>
> 	Thank you, I'll call them tomorrow and ask some more about
> 	their boards.
>
> 	Would it be reasonable to go with a Pentium 166 and Triton-II
> 	board instead of an early Orion, given the tasks the computer
> 	is supposed to be doing? ie. heavy on I/O, not much CPU required.

The ASUS PCI/I-P55T2P4 boards equiped with a 133 or 166 MHz CPU make
outstanding NFS servers for 100Mbs networks, a Pentium PRO would be overkill,
so yes, IMHO it would reasonable.

> > I wish I had more data on the Natoma chipset, but that only comes with
> > time.
>
> 	Yeah, information usually becomes available after it's been
> 	obsolete for a while.

Not obsolete, just in production for at least 90 days.  Serious bugs
usually show up right away (Orion based boards had only been shipping for a
few weeks before the 4.4MB/s problem was found).  Subtle bugs can take
a long time to show up, and often only effect very specific applications
(ASUS PCI/I-P55TP4N ignore the NMI signal on the ISA bus, I have only
known 1 person to ever run into that bug, and that was after I had been
shipping those boards for 4 months).