Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 96 19:21:05 EST
From:      lmascare@phlfs.com (Larry Mascarenhas)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems installing FreeBSD 2.1

Hi Folks,

I have purchased FreeBSD 2.1 CD-ROM & am in the process of installing it on
my Micron Millenia Plus system. The system is a Pentium 133 with 16Mb RAM, a
Buslogic 946c SCSI controller  & 2 Conner 1Gig SCSI drives.

The problems I am facing are "panic: bad dir" when I try to install FreeBSD on
the 2nd drive.  I tried installing it on the 1st drive as well with no
success. The 1st drive has Windows95 on a 900 Mb partition & I tried to setup
both root & usr & swap on the 1st drive. I even tried formatting the hard
drives & installing FreeBSD only. Spoke to Tech support who suggested that I
create a small DOS filesystem & then load FreeBSD, but to no avail.

I am booting from the floppy & have created the fixit diskette. I can only
install from floppy. "view" does not work for me at all. I did a newfs on the
130Mb partition on the 1st drive & that worked. The boot manager has been
installed correctly as it gives me the boot prompts.

Any help installing FreeBSD will be greatly appreciated. I am also a Unix
Systems Administrator with extensive experience on Sequent Dynix/ptx as
well as SCO Unix, so feel free to ask me to do anything technical (I hope).

TIA

Larry Mascarenhas
Systems Administrator
CSC Networks / Prentice Hall in NYC