Date:      Sat, 5 May 2007 13:11:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <freebsd@hub.org>
Cc:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, corwin@aeternal.net, "Marc G. Fournier" <freebsd@hub.org>
Subject:   Re: swap zone exhausted, increase kern.maxswzone

:That's why I think that the socket issue and this one are co-related ... with
:everything started up (93 jails), my swap usage right now is:
:
:mars# pstat -s
:Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
:/dev/da0s1b       8388608       20  8388588     0%
:
:Its only been up 2.5 hours so far, but still, everything is started up ...
:
:- ----
:Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)

    The "swap zone exhausted, increase kern.maxswzone" message only prints
    if uma_zone_exhausted() returns TRUE.  uma_zone_exhausted() appears to
    be based on a UMA flag which is only set if the pages for the zone
    exceeds some maximum setting.

    Insofar as I can tell, vmstat -z on FreeBSD will dump the UMA zones,
    so try using that when the problem occurs along with pstat -s.  It
    sounds like there is a leak somewhere (but I don't see how anything
    in any other UMA zones could cause the SWAPMETA zone to fill up).  Or
    the maximum setting is too low, or something is getting lost somewhere.

    We'll have a better idea as to what is going on when you get the message
    again.  You might even want to do a once-a-10-minutes cron job to
    append pstat -s, vmstat -m, and vmstat -z to a file.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>