Date:      Mon, 03 Nov 1997 14:56:56 -0500
From:      Jerry Hicks <wghhicks@ix.netcom.com>
To:        cliff ainsworth III <cliff@cliffsworld.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot Magazine rebuff [was FreeBSD: Turning PCs into Workstations]

cliff ainsworth III wrote:
[snip]
> If anybody caught this months BOOT magazine. We all just took a hit. In
> there article about windows alternative O/Ses. They rated a number of the
> them. With Linux being the hard core original radical hacker O/S. Linux was
> also shipped on this months cd-rom. Wouldn't it have been nice if they
> shipped FreeBSD instead. That would have been a great boost for all of us.
> The quote was something like "the free unix community is looked upon as a
> group of radical commie something or 'nothers" I cannot remember the exact
> sentence. And we certainly weren't being put on any pedestal. (linux
> included). FreeBSD was mentioned only once as part of a sentence. Linux,
> Open DOS, Be, Rhapsody, OS/2 all got half page reviews. Personally, I think
> BOOT is more windoze slanted because of its gaming type articles.
[snip]

All the more reason for a widely read magazine to do some well deserved
'catch-up' coverage.  One of the best kept secrets in the OS marketplace
(in the US anyway).

Not FreeBSD's fault of course.

Next year is FSF's fifteenth anniversary.  I recently corresponded with
Jon Erickson of Dr. Dobbs Journal.  They would very much like to cover
FreeBSD in the commemorative issue for the FSF.  One of their editors is
an avid FreeBSD user. (not sure who)

I know there was some affiliation between DDJ and W. Jolitz. They still
distribute 386BSD on CD.  Also not sure if there is a problem or history
between FreeBSD and that particular mag, but they certainly seem to be
interested now.

So there is a call for papers. Direct proposals to the DDJ editoral
staff.  This does *seem* to be a ripe opportunity.  Please correct me if
I am wrong.

Jerry Hicks
jerry_hicks@bigfoot.com