Date:      Wed, 2 May 2001 13:27:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@misha.privatelabs.com>
To:        kkonstan@daemon.gr, ache@freebsd.org
Cc:        bmah@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/x11-fonts Makefile ports/x11-fonts/ms-fonts  Makefile distinfo pkg-comment pkg-descr pkg-plist

[redirected to -ports]

On  2 May, Konstantinos Konstantinidis wrote:

>> > Isn't this the same as the x11-fonts/webfonts port?

> I just looked at your port to see if we could merge the good bits into
> one port, but I see that you are using the Windows 3.1/3.11 compatible
> fonts, whereas  I used the  Windows 9x/NT/2000 fonts  (newer versions,
> more encodings etc).

I see. Using cabextract did not occur  to me, and I assumed, the *32.exe
are the same  fonts, but use a different extracting  program (more icons
and other bloat during extractions time).

> What I could merge is the  substitution of koi8-ru to koi8-u. I didn't
> fiddle with  the encodings  because I  only use  ISO8859-1 and  -7 and
> chances  were I'd  break them  :) Perhaps  someone actually  using the
> Ukrainian alphabet  could enlighten us  regarding this matter  - until
> then I'll stick to koi8-ru which  is what the cyrillic fonts that ship
> with XFree86 4.0.3 use.

AFAIK, XFree86 only uses koi8-r:

	mi@misha:X11/fonts/cyrillic (311) grep koi8-r */fonts.dir | wc -l
	     142
	mi@misha:X11/fonts/cyrillic (312) grep koi8-ru */fonts.dir | wc -l
	       0

Let's ask AChe.  Is koi8-ru the same  as koi8-u, or is it  a yet another
standard? The  fonts worked for me  (I use Ukrainian locale),  but there
might be some differences I don't notice.

Also, there are other applications  for fonts (image creation, printing)
--  by themselves  they don't  require X_PREFIX.  That's why  my version
installed under ${LOCALBASE}/share. Strictly speaking, if WITHOUT_X11 is
set,  the port  should  not  even bother  creating  fonts.dir  -- I  was
planning to add this later.

Also, it seems to me (and Will), that package creation is Ok -- the .ttf
files are not  modified, so the license is not  broken. NO_CDROM is what
should stay on...

Yours,

	-mi