Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 21:20:11 +0200 (MEST)
From:      fabio.f@gmx.de
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound card is running

Hi everybody,
thanks to Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>. He has given me the
advice to edit the /boot/loader.conf with an additional line :
snd_ess_load="YES". And now my ESS 1869 sound card is playing fine tunes (device pcm & sbc).
It would be better, if all the special entries of loading a device permanently
in /boot/loader.conf is listed in the handbook to save time in configuring
the system for newbies.
To install xmcd I need XFree86-3.3.6.10, but it failed. Pkg_add
XFree86-3.3.6.10 stopped and sais: XFree86 already installed. How do I uninstall
XFree68-3.3.6.9 if there is only listed XFree68-3.3.6 with pkg_info? What is better,
to install applications from cdrom as packages or as ports? Are there any
difference? Is is true to search the corresponding homepage for knowing the
starting command of all the applications. About half of them don't run with their
name, eg. amphetamine-0.8.9.
Hope the rest I will find in the handbook, faqs, or searching with google.
Greetings Fabio.

http://www.gmx.net