Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 1996 19:28:48 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        dan@westford.ccur.com (Dan Malek)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, dan@westford.ccur.com
Subject:   Re: rel-2.1.0 and msdos file systems

Dan Malek stands accused of saying:
> The problem I am having is with Release-2.1.0 and the MSDOS file
> system partition.  Any modification to the 'C:' drive (/dev/wd0s1)
> corrupts my FreeBSD root partition (/dev/wd0s2a).  The info:
> 	I booted DOS 6.22 and ran FIPS to split up the drive:

This is your problem; when FIPS shrunk your DOS drive, it reduced it such
that the cluster size would normally be reduced.  This can't happen (for
obvious reasons), but the FreeBSD MSDOSFS code becomes confused by the
mismatch, and the corruption you're seeing is a result of this.

> Thanks a bunch for your help.  I am looking forward to trying anything
> you can suggest (and will also appreciate any PC education I can get along
> the way).

The best thing to do is to backup the DOS partition and re-fdisk the disk
with the new partition layout.  This will result in a DOS filesystem that's
not going to confuse the FreeBSD MSDOSFS.  There is someone (several
someones actually) I believe working on a replacement for the code to
deal with this and numerous other problems.

> 	-- Dan Malek

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[