Date:      Tue, 8 Mar 2005 07:34:40 +0100
From:      Emanuel Strobl <emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ttydX and xterm size (LINES and COLUMNS understanding)

--nextPart1378792.dLInSEiQmJ

Dear console gurus,

when I open a xterm on the local machine, say with 100x37, vi and man=20
recognizes the size and display the content correctly.
If I use cu/tip in a 100x37 xterm "ls" works fine (uses all lines) as long =
as=20
I start vi but man doesn't work (no scrolling possible). After the vi sessi=
on=20
only 24 lines (or whatever type I set in /etc/ttys) are used, but man works=
=20
correctly.
Why can I use different terminal sizes on the local machine and in ssh=20
sessions but not over a serial console?
If I set "setenv LINES 37" and "setenv COLUMNS 100" it works also on the=20
serial line but why or how can vi and others know what size my terminal is=
=20
via ssh session? I'm sure this behaviour is adoptable to serial consoles to=
o.

Thanks,

=2DHarry