Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 2014 15:35:45 -0700
From:      Patrick Gibson <gibblertron@gmail.com>
To:        Steve Wills <swills@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ruby@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ruby 2.0

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Steve Wills <swills@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 06, 2014 at 07:36:35PM +0000, Steve Wills wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 06, 2014 at 10:04:18AM -0700, Patrick wrote:
> > > Are there any plans to make Ruby 2.0 (or even 2.1) the default Ruby
> version
> > > for FreeBSD? Most every Ruby developer and company I know has moved
> past
> > > 1.9, and the 1.9 default in FreeBSD makes it impossible to use the
> official
> > > pkg sources because any pkg upgrade action wants to replace ruby20 with
> > > ruby19. While it's probably best that each of us uses our own pkg
> > > repository built with something like Poudriere, it's definitely not
> very
> > > convenient given how much work is involved in setting everything up
> that's
> > > needed to provided a pkg source.
> > >
> > > Going from 1.9 to 2.0 is a pretty painless update.
> >
> > Yes, it's something that I've been looking at. Exp-run build tests have
> been
> > done several times and I've been using 2.0 as default for packages I
> build for
> > myself for a while, so it's really all ready to go.
> >
> > There is one issue, which is the version of devel/ruby-gems. I've been
> told by
> > ruby gems developers that using gem 1.8.x with ruby 2.0 isn't really
> supported
> > or "sane", though I forget the details at this point. So I wanted to get
> that
> > updated before switching the default. Maybe we should just do it without
> that,
> > since I don't know of any specific issues or have details on potential
> issues.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> The exp-run for making 2.0 default was done again, and only 2 issues came
> up
> and I fixed both of those. Further I haven't been able to find any issues
> with
> the current version of gem in ports, though that doesn't mean they don't
> exist
> of course.
>
> So, I'm thinking we should go ahead and set a date and do it. Anyone have
> objections to doing it October 9, 2014? Or is a month too long to wait?
>
> Steve

My reasons are perhaps selfish, but I'd say the sooner, the better. :) I've
been using lang/ruby20 for quite some time without any issues (save for
pkg-ng wanting to downgrade to ruby19 all of the time). That said, October
9, 2014 isn't that far away, and it's not going to have a huge impact
either way.