Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 21:08:04 +0200
From:      "Lars Wittebrood" <lars@socruel.nu>
Subject:   Can't build OpenSSH3.4-Portable port on FreeBSD 4.6 (RELEASE, P1 or Stable)

Hi All,

I have a FreeBSD 4.6 p1 (security branch) box and updated the ports tree
today. I wanted to install the OpenSSH-Portable port, but the configure
script stopped with (output of config.log) :

configure:1286: checking for gcc
configure:1302: found /usr/bin/gcc
configure:1312: result: gcc
configure:1556: checking for C compiler version
configure:1559: gcc --version </dev/null >&5
2.95.3
configure:1562: $? =3D 0
configure:1564: gcc -v </dev/null >&5
Using builtin specs.
gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release) [FreeBSD]
configure:1567: $? =3D 0
configure:1569: gcc -V </dev/null >&5
gcc: argument to `-V' is missing
configure:1572: $? =3D 1
configure:1598: checking for C compiler default output
configure:1601: gcc    conftest.c  >&5
configure:1604: $? =3D 0
configure:1637: result: a.out
configure:1642: checking whether the C compiler works
configure:1648: ./a.out
./configure: ./a.out: No such file or directory
configure:1651: $? =3D 127
configure:1659: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.

The same happens when I manually install OpenSSH 3.4p1 and OpenSSH
3.3p1. On
the same box it doesn't happen with OpenSSH 3.1p1! I checked both
configure
scripts but couldn't find realy any diffs except that the 3.1 script is
from
Autoconf v. 2.52d and the 3.{3|4} script from Autoconf v. 2.53.

The same described above happened on a FreeBSD 4.3 p 28 (security source
tree) box and on a 4.4 RELEASE box.

I updated today to 4-STABLE (now I have OpenSSH 3.4!), but then again
also on 4-Stable the OpenSSH-portable port will not build!

I know OpenSSH 3.4 is in -STABLE but I want to know what is happening
here.
I have always compiled and installed OpenSSH manually and want to
continue
to do so.

Anyone knows what happened here?

MTIA