Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:21:00 +0200
From:      Stefan_Huerter@LU2.maus.de (Stefan Huerter)
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Seagate vs Quantum.. opinions?

Guckux Christopher

> I have a situation where I asked for Seagate Barracudas and was
> shipped "QUANTUM ATLAS IV 9 WLS 0707" instead.  Before I send them
> back, I want to make sure I'd be making the right decision.

I can only report my experiences from Germany:
A few years ago I bought a Quantum ATLAS 2GB drive, it works fine, for a
half year, than it get a head crash. My experience with Quantums service
is terrible, I have to wait for more than 6 months for exchange of one of
their "High-End High Quality server disks".
9 months later it dies once more (no head crash, it seems to be
electrical), and it takes one time more, more than 6 months for Quantum to
send me a new drive.

Another fact: I was selling Seagate' Barracuda from the first hour and
their first drives has really problems, about ~25% dies after a few weeks
(the other running today also :), sending back, and it takes about 4 weeks
to get a new one. These experiences with Seagate are continued until now.

For me: No more Quantum.

Bye
     Stefan