Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 1996 13:23:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        jab@rock.anchorage.net, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Very Slow Ethernet Link

> Jeffrey Barber writes:
> > Ok, I just installed FreeBSD 2.1 and boy this is slow, Example:
> >
> > bash$ ping localhost
> >
> > PING localhost (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
> > 64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=0.356 ms
>
> > On my Linux box I get a ping response of:
> >
> > PING localhost (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
> > 64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=1.1 ms
>
> Hmm, it looks like the Linux box is about 3X slower than FreeBSD.  I'm
> not sure, but in my math class .1 ms is faster than 1ms.

You guys aren't touching on an important point:

This is NOT Ethernet traffic.  This is loopback traffic!  (see Subject:)

Given the same hardware, FreeBSD will generally go faster than Linux for
most real networking tests (ok, fine, _all_ of them that _I_ have seen
that were executed in an unbiased manner).  However, the difference in
speed seems to be magnified somewhat on the loopback interface :-)

Anyways, the fix to this fellow's problem is obvious:  Press the Turbo
switch or set your CMOS configuration to start the machine up in non-Turbo
mode.  Then your FreeBSD box will (probably?) go slower than your Linux
box.

( all sorts of :-)'s )

... JG