Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 1997 11:18:42 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Keith Spencer <bsd@smmc.qld.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:syslogd STILL not working!

On Wed, Sep 24, 1997 at 11:38:17AM +1000, Keith Spencer wrote:
> Hi Greg...
> Hope you are feeling better from flu.
>
>>> During boot sequence:
>>> syslog: bind: Can't assign requested address
>>> syslog:child pid 59 exited with return code 1
>>> ....what does that mean : ^ o  ?
>>
>> It means it stopped because of an error.

>>> .... How do I do that Greg?
>>
>> # syslogd
>>
>> But it will die again.
>>
>>> BTW I notice in rc.conf that there are no syslog flage set...does
>>> this matter?
>>
>> You should have:
>
>> syslogd_enable="YES"		# Run syslog daemon (or NO).
>> syslogd_flags=""		# Flags to syslogd (if enabled).
>
> I do have this.
>
>> Your problem looks like the lack of the file /var/run/log.  You should
>> have:
>> # ls -l /var/run/log
>> srw-rw-rw-  1 root  bin  0 Sep 19 16:31 /var/run/log
>> If you don't have it, do
>> # mkfifo /var/run/log
> I didn't have one! there was a /var/log  directory but not a
> /var/run/log file. : ^ (

Well, no, it's not a file, it's a fifo.  Did you create it the way I
said?

> I feel discriminated against.

Damn.  You've found out :-)

> Any way I created one   and rebooted.

You didn't need to reboot.  Starting syslogd would have done it.

> But appeared to give same boot messages. But then whilst in f bsd I
> did do # syslogd and there were no complaints. I checked rrot mail
> straight after and found no new error mail msgs. just the past ones
> ...here are the old messages.

Is this the newest message in the mail?  I'd say that it hasn't
complained again.  But this comes from cron.

> Do you think it is working now???

I don't know.  What does the following command say?

$ ps aux | grep syslog

>> I'd like to know how you came not to have it, though.  Did you move
>> /var?
>> Greg
> As far as I know I did nothing of that sort. I installed and removed
> bsd with a diskmanager several times...but the last and now
> successful time was from a clean bsd partition.

Strange.
Greg