Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 15:51:44 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>
Cc:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@staff.psinet.net.au>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best way to hook into user logins / logouts ?

> > >   That will be completely broken for xterm.
> >
> > No, it works fine for xterm, unless you've disabled wtmp/utmp
> > logging by using -ut or the equivalent resource.
>
> ...and this is exactly what I mean by "broken" -- starting xterm isn't
> exactly "login".

Oh, well then I guess it depends on your definition. :) It *is* in
fact a session, even in the truest technical sense. But even under
your more strict definition of "login", then you'd miss a lot of
real "logins" if you didn't account form them, for example, if an
xterm was started from remote by:

   rsh <yourhost> exec env DISPLAY=$HOSTDISPLAY xterm &

:-)

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/