Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 10:06:49 -0800
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        "User Kuzak" <kuzak@kuzak.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Network Busy (Samba/Fbsd 4)

> I've encountered a problem at a location where I am using a FreeBSD/Samba
> setup as a Fileserver for a small LAN ( ~5 workstations ).  The hardware
spec's
> of the server should be more than adiquate for a small LAN and the network
is
> running on all 100 base.

I run the same sort of setup unfortunately.  We have a DOS based database
program which simply cannot be discarded.  Because we're stuck with it, I
accepted it, killed the NT server and setup FreeBSD/Samba.  I'm running
Samba 2.0.7 and FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE.  Our database is 300-400 megs, and it's
not the only shared EXE on my Samba server.  We have timekeeping and other
software that all execute directly from the Samba shares.  I don't really
have any issues, except that the guy who wrote the DOS program decided he
liked reading data one byte at a time, so the overhead absolutely kills my
bandwidth.  I get around 200,000 bytes per second.  I increased NMBCLUSTERS,
and now, at times, the connection will peak at 700,000 bytes per second.
I'm using a 100BaseTX Switch.  Our server is an IBM Netfinity 3500 Dual
Pentium III 500 with 256megs ram and UltraWide 7200rpm SCSI.  I've tuned my
smb.conf file with settings shown on the Samba website and in SPEED.txt and
SPEED2.txt.

My suggestions to you would be:

(1) Is Samba acting as your master browser ?  (You want it to)
(2) Is Samba's WINS server running ?  (You want this too)
(3) Read speed.txt and optimize your smb.conf
(4) Are you using a hub or a switch ?  For this kind of DOS application
sharing I've found that a switch makes all the difference in the world.
(5) Rather than reading the stupid message Windows gives you about Network
Busy, go to /var/log and read the log.[client] file for the client you're
using along with log.smb and maybe even log.nmb.