Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 2004 15:52:13 +0200
From:      "F. Senault" <fred.letter@lacave.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Obtaining a kernel dump is not possible

Monday, June 28, 2004, 10:52:20 AM, you wrote:

> my ThinkPad gets a kernel panic if I boot a kernel with atapicam
> enabled. So I try to obtain a crash dump to get a backtrace.
> Unfortunately it seems so, that the kernel crashs quit early. Although I
> put dumpdev=/dev/ad0s1b in my loader.conf, I can't call doadump without
> getting the message: "Partition too small. Dump failed."

Is your swap partition big enough ?  It has to be at least as big as
your physical memory.

Fred
Who had to wait for a server with 3Gig of RAM to write its dump...
--
Imagine a stegosaurus wearing rocket powered roller skates, & you'll
get a fair idea of its elegance, stability & ease of crash recovery.