Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 15:49:50 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Brett or no Brett?

On Saturday, 11 September 1999 at 23:50:41 -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 11:03 AM 9/12/99 +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> Should we have a vote?  How many people would like to have Brett on
>> the list (as a contributor), how many would prefer him to go away (or
>> at least shut up)?  I don't think he's done anything to merit being
>> forcibly removed, but maybe a vote will help him get the message.
>
> Nonetheless, there seems to be a relatively small group of people
> who can be relied upon to pounce on anyone one who asks questions
> that are, er, inconvenient. And it should be pointed out that Greg,
> in particular, has a special interest in the outcome of the current
> discussion. Walnut Creek publishes his book on FreeBSD and distributes
> it as part of several products. The introduction of new products from
> other sources might constitute competition for his publisher and also
> for his book and products that contain it.

Ah, yes, I suppose I do have an interest.  But I didn't know that when
I wrote what I wrote: I've long since given up reading what you have
to say.  As regards my attitude to competition, you might ask the
groups of people writing FreeBSD books about my attitude to this
"competition".

> It is possible that his derogatory comments, quoted below,

(I've moved them to the top to maintain the chronological sequence)

> may be motivated, in whole or in part, by such concerns.

Theoretically, yes.  In practice, no.

> It is also possible that some folks might find the issues on which
> I've been posting to be uninteresting to them personally. That's
> fine, and it often happens on mailing lists; it's hardly grounds to
> squelch the poster so long as the messages do not violate the
> charter of the list.

Agreed.  I get about 800 messages a day, most of which I delete unread
based on the subject line.

> However, any attempt to intimidate, shame, shun, or otherwise "gang up
> on" any contributor to the list -- especially when that person has raised
> valid issues -- is an attempt at censorship. Such activities should not be
> tolerated in ANY community -- and most especially not in an open source
> development community.

The fact is, Brett, that I'm giving you special treatment.  This isn't
my own interest, it's in my perception of the interests of the
project: I believe you're detrimental to them.  Since I have no power
to censor you, I suppose my message falls under the category "it's
hardly grounds to squelch the poster so long as the messages do not
violate the charter of the list."  But you should have noticed how the
vote has gone out so far.  I doubt it'll be unanimous, but I'd expect
a big majority to ask you to please shut up, or at least wipe the
froth off your mouth.

Greg