Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:29:10 +1200
From:      Philip Murray <pmurray@nevada.net.nz>
To:        Vinod Kashyap <vkashyap@amcc.com>
Cc:        Harald Schmalzbauer <h@schmalzbauer.de>
Subject:   Re: 3Ware 9500 and disklabel

Vinod Kashyap wrote:

> Can you try booting off the installation CD/floppies and running
> sysinstall from there?

Ok, I tried to boot from
	1) 5.2.1 i386 ISO w/ twa.ko loaded (from 3ware.com)
	2) 5.2.1 i386 ISO w/o twa.ko
	2) 5.2-CURRENT amd64 ISO from snapshots.se.freebsd.org
	3) My own 5.2-CURRENT iso

They all panicked on boot with (bear with me, I have to hand type this):

ata3: at 0xfeafec00 on atapci0

cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address	= 0xe448f086
fault code		= supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc04c5d00
stack pointer		= 0x10:0xc10218cc
frame pointer		= 0x10:0xc1021940
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process		= 0 (swapper)
trap number		= 12
panic: page fault
cpuid = 0;
Uptime: 1s;
shutting down ACPI

I've also tried disabling ACPI and it does the same thing. Incidentally,
I'm pxebooting this server and installing from the ISO images via NFS.
Could this be why it's panicking? If so, I'll have to go and hunt down a
spare CD-ROM drive.

Also, when the current installation has booted, geom disk list prints out:

root@wildfire:~> geom disk list
        NAME: ad4
   geom name: ad4
   mediasize: 164696555520 (153G)