Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:34:26 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        clemensF <rabat@web.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CPUTYPE and ports

--hOcCNbCCxyk/YU74

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 01:17:35AM +0200, clemensF wrote:
> > Kris Kennaway:
>=20
> > Look at <bsd.cpu.mk> - it's already trivial for the port to
> > automatically enable this support based on MACHINE_CPU: the maintainer
> > just hasn't done it yet.
>=20
> how come AMD processors aren't supported (yet) bu gcc?

Well, firstly, they are supported because they're backwards compatible
with older intel CPUs.  So I think you meant "how come AMD
processor-specific optimizations aren't supported".

Well, they still are: k5 and k6 specific optimizations are supported
by gcc 2.95.x.  I assume you really meant newer AMD processors such as
the Athlon, to which the answer is:

Because no-one wrote code to support AMD optimizers in gcc 2.95.x
(code doesn't grow on trees ;-).

I understand gcc 3.x supports optimization for the newer AMD chips; it
will be imported into 5.0-CURRENT at some point, but may not make it
back into 4.x because of the disruption involved.

Kris

--hOcCNbCCxyk/YU74

--hOcCNbCCxyk/YU74--