Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 16:43:13 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu
Subject:   Re: Name of Mail Server?

Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu> asked:

> I'm trying to fix up Win95 on a portable computer to get mail from
> FreeBSD (so I installed popserver) and have mail sent from FreeBSD,
> so I establish a ppp connection from Win95 to FreeBSD.  And the
> mail pops up find but mail created on the Win95 computer doesn't
> get sent.
>
> Win95 wants to know the name of the mail server.  The host name
> is andrsn.stanford.edu but it doesn't seem to be happy with this.
> The mail server program is sendmail.  So what do I put in the Win95
> dialog box that asks for the mail server?

POP mail readers use the POP protocol only to *retrieve* mail from the
server.  To send mail, they typically open an SMTP session to a fixed
mail server somewhere and expect it to be able to forward the message
appropriately.  For your use, the "mail server" would typically be a
UNIX host running sendmail.  When you send a mail message from the
Win95 machine, it will dump it into the mail queue on the UNIX host,
and sendmail will then send it to the proper destination.

	Wes Peters

P.S.  I see you're now answering more questions than you're asking.
It must be about time to go get "RTFM" tattoed on your palm.  ;^)