Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 1995 11:37:24 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Sound Card recomendations?

> > With all the talk about the sound-cards and stuff, I've decided to
> > plunge into the 90's and buy a sound card when I'm down in the Bay Area
> > at Frys.  What do folks recommend in the < $200 range for sound-cards?
> > My machine doesn't run DOS so the biggest feature is that it works under
> > FreeBSD with all of the software available.  However, I might steal the
> > card out of it occasionally if/when I get another system to run games,
> > so I don't want a no-name care either.
>
> As far as I know there is one and only one real card to have for sound
> under FreeBSD, and that is the GUS.  It should be <$149.00.

Looking around on the WWW, there are a couple different models of the
GUS just like there are many types of SoundBlasters.

Which version?  Do all of them work under FreeBSD?  Is one more
'special' than the others cause it can emulate Barney sounds better than
others?  Enquiring minds want to know! :-)

Nate