Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:26:23 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Joachim_Str=F6mbergson?= <watchman@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAng hangs with kernel from september 15

It seems Joachim Strömbergson wrote:
> > Thanks! I guess I'm too impatient these days... Yes, it works after waiting
> > for about 30 seconds. So a correction, it doesn't hang, it's just slow when
> > detecting :).
>
> So now the tousand dollar question becomes "What in the boot contains a
> timeout around 30 seconds, a timout that lately has been
> committed/ctivated in the kernel code?"

Well, the ATA driver has just grown more standard compliant :)
You *must* hang around for 31secs to wait for slow devices to come ready,
according to the ATA specs. Now I've gone to great length before to
get around this by using clever heuristics, and I'm getting there again,
but there are *so* many crappy devices out there that it takes time
to accomodate them all.

So if you experience long boot delays or misprobes, please boot verbose
and mail me the output from dmesg with a subject of "ATA probe fails"
and a short description of what is wrong, and I'll try to work in a
solution for the problem.

(And no I wont ever go the white/black-list route as others have gone).

-Søren