Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 96 22:46 PST
From:      pete@pelican.com (Pete Carah)
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD crashes... Help?

In article <Pine.BSF.3.91.960227130412.260F-100000@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu> you write:

>On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Carlos Smith wrote:
>> I've installed it several times with the same result...it crashes
>> every time I run X WIndows and leave just a screensaver on. It freezes
>> everytime and the only way to recover it is by turning it off and on
>> again.
>
>Which screensaver?

That doesn't matter.  The S3 driver had bugs before the B beta release
(I already answered someone else's query about this; using the 312B
server fixed it at least for me (all the crashes seem to be in
somewhat different circumstances but all happen with *any* S3 card.).)

I also went to the 2.1-STABLE kernel but don't know if that helped or
not; it didn't help before getting the 312B server so probably not.

In my case it crashed on loading pixmaps; I could never get more than
2 or 3 xli's to work before a crash, and netscape loved to crash it.

Sure looked like hardware :-(

There are some more fixes in the 312D server but it may not work with
our libraries (it "ought" to...) since it is based on X11R6.1 and not
just X11R6.

>Take a look at /var/log/messages and see if something happened to the
>program or the X server.
It crashes hard with the server apparently writing all through memory; there
is no opportunity for messages or dumps.

-- Pete