Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:20:41 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Stewart Morgan <stewart@BITS.bris.ac.uk>
To:        Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@hcs.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: User-user D-Channel packets

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:

> >From the keyboard of Stewart Morgan:
>
> > I've also tinkered with facility packets to get "service 3" enabled but to
> > no avail. So, either I'm not doing something right or the service isn't
> > implemented -- is there anyway to conclusively tell??
>
> Either look at the causes - they should tell you something - or you have to
> ask your ISDN provider.

	It comes back with 98 (0x62) which gives me three options:
		1) Message not compatible with call state
			Acording to the ETSI specs, this should be fine in most call states.

		2) Message type non-existent
			Not the case.

		3) Not implemented
			Acording to BT web pages, they implemented this last year.

	I guess it could simply be a case of it being disabled but the cause seems
a little ambiguous, more of a general case answer?? *sigh* :)

> I have no idea what "service 3" is but UUS has to be subscribed here in
> Germany, so it is disabled by default.

	As I understand it, there are 3 types of UUS "service":
		1) Implicit or explicit service 1: allows 2x35 or 2x131 octets to be
			sent (in both directions) during the call setup / tear-down phases.

		2) Explicit service 2: allows the same thing but only between the
			alerting and connect phases.

		3) Explicit service 3: allows unlimited multiples of 131 octets to be
			sent in user_information frames once a call has been established.

	I started with service 3, but realised I'd have to send some facility
frames so I tried implicit service 1 in the setup phase, but I don't get any
difference in output surely there would be causes??

	I shall investigated the "disabled by default" though I was under the
impression that it was standard with an ISDN 2e compient socket??

	Does anyone out there have any experience of this??

	Any help appreciated...

Stewart
Systems-Representative & Joint Systems Administrator

BITS - Bristol Information Technology Society
University of Bristol Student's Union, Bristol, England

E-Mail	: stewart@BITS.bris.ac.uk
WWW		: http://www.BITS.bris.ac.uk/stewart/