Date:      Mon, 1 May 1995 04:51:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        bmk@dtr.com, john@starfire.mn.org, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: formatting a scsi disk

> bmk@dtr.com writes:
> >
> > Can't get it to work here, any clues?

> It turns out that commands with no data have never worked via "scsi"
> (yikes).  That is fixed in -current, and I'm on to two new problems:

> 1. We need to be able to specify the timeout (the default is 2
> seconds, which is not going to work well for formatting your disks)

> 2. We need to account for disks that can't be opened by the disk driver
> before formatting.

So... I guess my next question is how can I reformat a problematic SCSI
disk since I'm running SNAP-0412 and not current.  The controller is a
Buslogic 445 - and they don't provide a SCSI format utility.

If it's necessary, I can format the disk on an Adaptec 1542 (which does
have a formatter), but I'd rather not do that, since it'd involve
disassembling two machines.