Date:      Sat, 10 Dec 2011 23:44:48 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.0 install and journaling

On 12/10/11 22:20, RW wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 11:40:53 +0000
> Frank Shute wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 07:51:50PM +1000, R Skinner wrote:
>>> possibly could, but it escaped me as to how. And before I do- I
>>> looked up journaling on 9. I couldn't quite get to the bottom of
>>> whether it is or isn't available/standard, or how to determine its
>>> happening. I'm only interested because of unexpected
>>> shutdowns/battery dead on the laptop- I also have 500G which is a
>>> while to wait for fsck. Speed I'd like, but I have to consider
>>> system integrity first.
>> I'm unfamiliar with the new bsdinstaller but AFAIK it sets up a UFS2
>> filesystem for you.
>>
>> This comes with background fsck and softupdates which achieve the
>> objective of not having to wait for a lengthy foreground fsck if you
>> don't shutdown your laptop cleanly.
>>

>> but to be honest, I wouldn't bother in your position: it's just more
>> stuff to go wrong for no appreciable gain to you.
> 9.0 also supports soft-update journalling which eliminates the
> background fsck.
>
> If you don't know whether it's on or not you can run
>
> tunefs -p /
>

> If it's not on then tunefs can turn it on, but you will presumably  need
> to reboot into single user mode.

So how does soft-update journaling compare to gjournal? I'm using
gjournal now and it runs a bit of a dog, but it is reliable (until
another ufs filesystem turns up at boot) and necessary in my
environment. Can I dump it for this new one?

Its used on a laptop with heavy load on the disk, the power on the
battery can run out too quick for batterymon to shut it down- plus kids
that play silly monkeys with daddy's laptop... :)