Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 2009 23:58:39 +0300
From:      Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@gmail.com>
To:        Peter Jones <mlists@pmade.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Logical Disk to Physical Drive Mapping

You could use ZFS on a slice/partition taking up 99,9% of the disk's
size to avoid this. Contrary to how it works in Solaris/OpenSolaris,
in FreeBSD you don't use the ability to use write cache if you chose
to use a slice or partition as a vdev for a ZFS pool instead of giving
it the full disk. Additionally, you get some room to play if one disk
in your raidz drop dead and your replacement drive ends up being a few
sectors smaller then the disk you are replacing.

- Dan Naumov